This workshop can be taught as a 1 or 2 day workshop. The 2-day workshop provides more depth and gives participants the opportunity to review 2 completed grant proposals.
The Program Development and Grant Writing Workshop is intended for anyone interested in obtaining grant funds from public or private sources at the federal, state, and local levels. The workshop will provide participants with:
- A description of the general grant process, with a special focus on how grants are reviewed.
- Information about the location of funding sources and the use of electronic media to find them.
- Instruction on how to review a funding opportunity to determine if it is appropriate for their agency.
- Training on the use of a planning tool for the creation of effective grant proposals.
- Information on the budgeting process and how to maximize grant funding for your project.
- Instruction on how to create an appropriate evaluation plan for your project.
- Training on the most effective methods for producing your grant proposal.
The workshop is designed to introduce participants to the practical skills they will need to begin the development of grant proposals. Participants will leave the workshop with a clearer understanding of how to begin the grant writing process, where to look for resources, and how begin preparing a competitive grant proposal.
By the end of the workshop, participants will better be able to:
- Describe the general grant process.
- Describe how grants are reviewed.
- Know where to find information about the location of funding sources and use of electronic media to find them.
- Understand how to review a funding opportunity to determine if it is appropriate for their agency.
- Know how to use a basic planning tool for the creation of effective grant proposals.
- Know how to budget appropriately for their project.
- Understand the components of an appropriate evaluation plan for their project.
- Be able to describe effective methods for producing their grant proposal.
Handouts are available on the grant writing wiki page. The user name and password for this site are provided during training.
Class Topics and Agenda
- Day 1 How Grants Work, Finding Funding, Choosing the Appropriate Grant, Grant Review, How to Plan Grants.
- Homework 2-3 hours of homework. All participants will read and score 2 grant applications during the evening between the 2 days of class.
- Day 2 How to Plan Grants (continued), Needs Assessment
The cost for a 2-day workshop is $4,000 plus expenses. Expenses include mileage, lodging and meals if travel away from Iowa City is required. The cost for a 1-day workshop is $2,000 plus expenses.